Monday, June 1, 2009

American River 50 mile Race Report

Matt Lonergan and I went out in a very comfortable 6:20 pace, knowing that we should know better. However there was another group up front running faster, so that made me feel like I was being smart. Things were still smooth around the first hill at about 19. I had a friend (Steve Brusig) handing me full bottles so my aid stations were going fast. I was trying out the First Endurance gel bottles, and had the super smart idea of just having Steve hand it to me then downing it (4 gels worth) and giving it back to him so I didn't have to carry the flask. I only tried that twice, obviously not a great idea. I came through the marathon at 2:50, probably in 6th or 7th. The trail section from maybe 30-40 was much more technical than I expected and I think it took a lot out of me. Steve joined me for the last 10 miles which was really helpful. Mile 40 to around 47 was much easier running, and I tried to get back into it with limited success. I also had some stomach issues and was feeling bloated. As a result, I wasn't taking any GU's and took more water instead of GU2O. I had a VERY slow climb the last few miles I was passed by one runner. My weight was up some at the end and I think I took a total of about 15 S! caps. The weather was amazing and the course was surprisingly scenic, especially towards the end. I defiantly learned some lessons (don’t take a ton of gel all at once). It would have been nice to finish better, but overall I was happy with it. My folks met me at the end and we all received a nice finisher’s jacket. Much like Cool, the race course was changed some from its historic route so it was hard to tell how my time compared to previous runs.

3 comments:

  1. What possessed me to do a search for Dan Olmstead I don't know. Is this the race report from 2008 or 2009? Good to see you're still going at it. I look forward to your report from WS100 ... around September I figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I sort of fell off the wagon on updating this blog. I’m going to work on that. I’ll shoot for an August Western States race report, a full month ahead of schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DanO, your still ahead of me. I have yet to post an AR race report.....I guess it has taken me longer to recover from the crushing disappointment of finishing 1 min out of 3rd. I gotta get on that.

    ReplyDelete